+420 211 221 501 (Mon.-Fri.: 9:00 - 17:00)

F.A.Q. – Frequently Asked Questions

I am the Job!


FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions

Our goal is to make the hiring process as simple and enjoyable for you as possible. Below are few questions that are frequently asked by employers. If you have any additional questions, we’ll be happy to answer them.

Hiring European students:

Do students speak English?

Yes. The level of English ability ranges from basic to fluent. You will be able to see video presentations of students before you hire them. You will also be able to interview students by phone, Skype (face-to-face online interviews) or other software. Students are bilingual and can speak even 3 or 4 languages sometimes. They will be a great asset for you company.


Is Work and Travel program really free?

Yes it is a free service to employers. J1 Visa Students pay their own placement fees and transportation costs. You only pay their wages.


When are they available and what countries do they come from?

We do specialize in students from the Czech Republic and Slovakia, as they have a great name among our previous and current business partners. They are generally available from late May until late September.


What types of positions can European students fill?

Our participants can fill a variety of entry-level, short-term positions. These are mostly jobs in industries like food and beverage, hospitality, general labor, customer service, theme parks, retail. Jobs include retail staff, wait staff, kitchen staff, counter staff, maintenance, housekeeping, dish-washing, and ride operations.


Are there any restrictions on the jobs that international students can hold?

International students on the Work & Travel USA program are prohibited from working in the following areas: childcare, medical/patient care, domestic work (such as a housekeeper in a family’s home), camp counselors, flight attendants, and any job that jeopardizes the student’s well-being and/or safety.


Do I need to pay j1 students’ travel costs?

No. All Work & Travel USA students are responsible for paying their own transportation costs. Sometimes employers offer airport pickup, but it is up to you.


Do I have to provide housing?

Employers do not have to provide housing, but we ask if you could help them arrange affordable housing in close proximity to the job site. Also if you offer housing more students will be interested in your position and you will have more resumes to choose from.


Can a student get more than one job?

The J-1 Visa allows students to work at more than one job. However, students must stick to conditions of their job contract and not break it in any way.


J1 visa, Social Security. Legal:

Do students have Social Security cards?

Yes. The students must apply for Social Security cards when they arrive in the US. The students will receive a receipt that shows that they have applied for a Social Security card and that they can legally work before SSN is issued. The card should arrive within 4-6 weeks.


What is the J-1 Visa?

The J-1 Visa is a temporary, non-immigrant visa that allows foreign nationals to live and work in the US as part of cultural exchange programs. Most of international students come to USA under J1 visa as participants of Work and Travel USA program.


What is the DS-2019 form?

The DS-2019 form is proof of sponsorship for a J-1 Visa. The DS-2019 form identifies the student’s program sponsor, describes the purpose of the program, and states the time period that the student is allowed to work. The student is allowed to work with a valid DS-2019 form and only through the dates listed on the DS-2019. The J-1 Visa is only valid with the DS-2019 form. Once a J-1 visitor’s program ends, student may remain in the United States for an additional 30 day, often referred to as a “grace period”, in order to prepare for departure from the country.


What is a visa-sponsor (program-sponsor)?

An organization designated by the Department of State authorized to issue Form DS-2019) which is the basic document to support an application for an exchange visitor visa (J visa).


Student’s visa expired. Can he work?

The dates printed on the J-1 Visa describe the period of time during which the student is allowed to enter the US . The dates on the student’s DS-2019 are the dates he or she is eligible to work. The dates on the visa do not describe the work period.


Wages And Taxes:

How do I save taxes by hiring international staff?

Students on a J-1 Visa are considered non-resident aliens. They should not have Social Security (FICA), Medicare, or federal unemployment (FUTA) taxes withheld from their paycheck. It is a common practice to match some of the taxes so that a certain percentage of a worker’s wage goes to cover these taxes. International staff may be exempt from state unemployment taxes in your state. Your tax professional will be able to advise you about this. All staff are required to pay federal, state, and local income taxes though.


What should I pay students?

You must pay international staff adhering to State Minimum Wage laws. Just pay them the same as any American on the same position.


How many hours per week can students work?

Students usually work between 32 and 56 hours per week. The amount of hours worked is up to you and the student. We ask you to indicate the basic schedule, hours and if overtime is available, so that we can tell our students what type of work schedule to expect.


Insurance and Medical Issues:

Does European staff have health insurance?

Yes, they are required to have health insurance for the duration of their stay in the USA. Students pay for their own insurance before arriving in the US. They even posses third party liability in amount of $750 000.


What if a student is injured on the job?

International staff is protected by the same labor laws as US citizens. All job-related injuries are covered by Worker’s Compensation. Please refer to your Worker’s Compensation insurance policy.


Support during the Program:

The students are really great workers. Can I hire them for a year instead of 4 months?

While it’s not unusual for employers to be extremely satisfied with our European staff, the students are only able to work for up to 4 months. If you need to hire someone for longer period of time, we can provide you with great Interns and Trainees.


The students are not quite what I expected…

If you feel that a student is not meeting your expectations, we ask that you first talk to him/her and make your expectations known. Sometimes the problem rises from a small misunderstanding and can easily be solved. We can also talk to the student. In some cases, the student may not be aware of the problem or how to do a better job. A frank discussion about work performance often solves the problem. If the situation does not improve and you need to terminate him/her, please call us so that we can assist the student and find you another candidate.


Let us know who are you looking for submit your Job Opening NOW

Feeling like you need more information first?

Do you like our programme? You can

Contact our coordinator:

Contact us

By submitting I agree with necessary processing of personal data.

Subscribe to the latest news about studying and working abroad on your e-mail